Last week, I recorded the headlines of press releases that I received—not the ones I used, but the ones I didn’t use (and many more were screened before they reached me). Many don’t even address the industry I cover, so make sure you only send your press releases to those who actually cover your industry, niche, or geography.
The next step in getting your press release picked up is to write a compelling headline. In reading these examples ask yourself: Which ones are interesting? Which ones make me want to read more? Which ones have a great hook? And, which ones do I even understand?
- Presence Technology is positioned in the Visionaries quadrant of CRM Web Customer Service Magic Quadrant
- Girls Night Out Event Tour Comes To Zeeland
- New Combination Locking Cap Designed to Protect Children and Teens From Prescription Medications
- SecuriGlobe Deploys Interactive Intelligence IP Business Communications Solution
- Sitel Work@Home Solutions Provide Next Generation Virtual Workforce
- Professional Insurance Marketing Association (PIMA) Publishes Updated Advertising Manual
- TantaComm Announces New Interaction Recording Solutions for Business Process Outsourcers (BPOs)
- iPractice Group, Inc. Acquires Doctors Access
- Intelliverse Introduces Partnership Program for Cloud Services in International Markets
- Copper Helps Serve and Protect Along Lightning Alley
- MDSL and FancyFon combine TEM with Mobile Device Lifecycle Management
- HyperQuality Releases New Performance Management Features in ClearMetrix 3.0
- NYeC Announces List of Speakers for Digital Health Conference 2011
- Amazon’s Latest Bite into Apple
- Amazon Unveils Kindle Fire Tablet, Two Other New E-Readers
- Olympus KeyMed selects Alcatel-Lucent for Innovative Data Center and Customer Service Solutions
- Center for Studying Health System Change (HSC)
- SuccessEHS Announces Results of 2010–2011 Implementation and Customer Support Surveys
- Encoda Announces Eileen Harrow to Develop Professional Services Division
- HireIQ Launches InterviewPlus Solution, Enabling Organizations and Recruiters to Streamline Hiring Process
- Ambry Genetics First to Offer Exome Sequencing Service for Clinical Diagnostics.
- Breakthrough Service to Supervise Children’s Use of Mobiles Launched by MM Technologies
- Finalists Announced for the 2011 Eddie and Ozzie Awards!
- SIMM Associates Uses Latitude Software Suite to Reduce Operational Costs
- West Corporation Celebrates InterCall’s 20th Anniversary
Writing an effective headline is part art and part practice. By studying these beauties and learning from them, we can hone our craft of writing a compelling headline and increase the chances of it being picked up and promoted.
Peter Lyle DeHaan, PhD, is an author, blogger, and publisher with over 30 years of writing and publishing experience. Check out his book The Successful Author for insider tips and insights.