Is it enough for authors to embrace a publishing mindset or must they go further?
I read, “publishers are becoming developers.” This sounds profound, but what does it mean that publishers become developers?
A publisher is someone who prepares and issues information or material.
A developer is someone who creates, who builds, who advances.
How can publishers become developers?
- Turn a book or publication into a platform or business
- Repackage past and current products (books, articles, posts, and so forth) into innovative offerings for a new audience
- Build a social media presence to curate and share information
- Create mobile apps of content for the on-the-move, I-want-it-now demographic
- Establish new information dissemination channels
- Reinvent being a writer into something with a greater, grander vision
These are all general ideas, of course. I leave the details for each author-turned-publisher to determine, pursue, and achieve.
Then, just as authors become publishers, we can take the next step so that publishers become developers too.
Learn more about writing and publishing in Peter’s new book: The Successful Author: Discover the Art of Writing and Business of Publishing. Get your copy today.
Peter Lyle DeHaan, PhD, is an author, blogger, and publisher with over 30 years of writing and publishing experience. Check out his book The Successful Author for insider tips and insights.