Here are the lessons learned from a computer fiasco I had:
- Have a technology plan, but be flexible. [I had a plan but wasn’t flexible with it—until I was forced to. I doggedly stuck to the plan, even when it was inadvisable to do so]
- Multiple data backups were imperative. I used three methods, and keep several historical versions, spanning six months.
- Having backup hardware is essential. During this ordeal, I was using both my backup desktop computer and my laptop to handle critical items and not fall too far behind.
- Having a help desk to call for emergencies is critical.
- If a computer begins displaying flaky problems, it’s likely telling you something—make sure you are listening.
Learn more about writing and publishing in Peter’s new book: The Successful Author: Discover the Art of Writing and Business of Publishing. Get your copy today.
Peter Lyle DeHaan, PhD, is an author, blogger, and publisher with over 30 years of writing and publishing experience. Check out his book The Successful Author for insider tips and insights.