There are three facets of book publishing: writing the book, producing the book, and promoting the book. This final step of marketing is one that most authors would just as soon skip. But if people are to read what we write, we must promote our work.
Here are some articles about marketing to help with the task of book promotion. Though these offer generic marketing instructions, the principles are applicable to authors and publishers. As you read them, think about your book as a business.
These articles will help get us started:
- Three Keys for a Successful Content Marketing Campaign
- Take Your Online Local Advertising to the Next Level
- Five Ways to Leverage Your Business Acumen Locally (and beyond)
- How to Create Promotional Pieces that Attract Your Ideal Clients (that is buyers)
- Marketing Your Business: Get More for Less (remember, your book is a business)
- Tell Your Story – Sell Your Story: 4 Hollywood Plot Lines You Can Use to Build Your Business (that is, promote your book)
- Turn Business Cards Into Business: Do You Manage Client Information on a Paper Napkin? (this is especially important to do with influencers)
This list is just a start, but it will help us to just that: get started.
Peter Lyle DeHaan, PhD, is an author, blogger, and publisher with over 30 years of writing and publishing experience. Check out his book The Successful Author for insider tips and insights.